We understand that your plant is likely operating with quicker start-ups and shutdowns, and more frequent load changes than it was originally designed.
These operating modes can cause pre-mature bearing wear or, in some cases, catastrophic failure of the main thrust bearing. We have designed a solution for this problem.
For more information about this scenario check out our white paper here.
Defining the problem
At Hayward Tyler, we have observed an increasing trend in the cycling operation of the BWCP to support flexible plant operation. In this scenario, the suction pressure to the pump can drop below the water vapor pressure, causing steam flashing in the pump.
Steam flashing in the pump results in a loss of hydraulic thrust, causing:
- Substantial reverse thrust damage
- Unstable radial loading
- A lack of lubrication at the close clearance ring fits
- A lack of NPSHa causing pump cavitation
The result: Double thrust bearing upgrade
This bearing upgrade can be performed without the need to remove your BCP from its installed location. The upgraded parts can be ordered ahead of time, and the work can be completed as
part of a thrust inspection or a scheduled upgrade. The new parts fit precisely to your existing design without the need for any machining. Contact us below to find out more!
Benefits of upgrading:
When you upgrade your reverse thrust bearing, you’ll take advantage of these benefits:
- Up to 10x the reverse thrust bearing load capacity
- Can be upgraded in-situ during a thrust inspection
- OEM qualified bearing material for superior performance
- Uses a proven thrust bearing design
- No machining required