Senior Staff Accountant
Date Listed:December 8, 2022
Select Contact email:email@example.com
Job Description and Duties:
Senior Staff Accountant responsibilities include reconciling account balances and bank statements, maintaining balance sheet accounts and performing scheduled closing procedures. A successful Senior Accountant combines excellent analytical skills with a thorough knowledge of accounting principles to analyze financial reports and generate forecasts to support management and company goals. The ideal candidate has experience actively collaborating and working directly with a team of accountants and financial professionals to perform functions and duties related to the Finance function of the company. The Senior Staff accountant is responsible for the accurate, timely maintenance and reporting of bank account balances (cash and non-lease debt), as well as the execution of the Controller’s objectives with respect to several key working capital accounts, as detailed below.
Duties and responsibilities:
Accepts a portfolio of balance sheet and income statement accounts as defined by the Controller
• Performs the accounting, maintenance, and reconciliation of assigned portfolio accounts according to company policy.
• Performs key tasks associated with month end and year end close activities.
• Assists in the production of monthly financial statements and budget analyses.
• Assists in the annual audit and production of annual financial statements.
• Works with all members of the Finance team to ensure both individual and team responsibilities and goals are met in a timely and professional manner.
Cash & collections
• Works to achieve established goals in cash & collections and working capital performance.
• Analyzes the bank statements of the company’s deposit, checking and revolving credit accounts and reconciles these with the company’s records.
• Prepares and maintains a rolling 13 week forecast and is prepared to answer both scheduled and ad hoc reporting queries related to the cashflow forecast.
• Prepares a monthly working capital report, as required.
• Manages and accounts for the company’s progress billings and other deposits on the company’s ledger.
• Manages the credit granting process, including the consistent application of a credit policy, periodic credit reviews of existing customers, and the assessment of the creditworthiness of potential customers.
Manages intercompany transactions, schedules intercompany disbursements, and maintains the intercompany accounts in good order.
• Process daily invoicing to customers and daily cash receipts.
• Process customer credit memos after obtaining appropriate approvals.
• Solicit payment on overdue accounts, resolve issues that may be holding up payment, and maintain information on delinquent accounts.
Manages the transactions and accounting for all prepaid items including the accounting for insurance and income tax.
• Assists the Controller in the negotiation, budgeting, and renewal of insurance coverages.
• Assists the Controller in the estimation and disbursement of income tax payments in and recovery of overpaid or rebated amounts.
• Supports the measurement of departmental performance by understanding and respecting both the spirit and mechanics of performance measurement metrics related to individual and team performance.
• Further the departmental objective of continuous improvement by identifying opportunities for improvement and supporting and/or leading continuous improvement projects.
• Following the department training plan, receives training and provides training to others to ensure departmental resilience and preparedness for planned and unplanned absences and periods of additional or unexpected workload.
• Builds and maintains strong working relationships both inside and outside the department to facilitate unit cohesion at the department and enterprise levels.
• Works the hours necessary to support the timely production of department deliverables or assists in meeting critical department or company deadlines.
• Accepts and manages special projects as requested by the Controller.
• Accepts other duties and responsibilities as assigned or requested to support the success of the department and company.
Minimum qualifications/Winning attributes:
• Associates or bachelor’s degree, Accounting or Business preferred
• Experience in Accounting with broad experience and training in many aspects of accounting, experience in a manufacturing organization preferred.
• Willing to embrace change and explore new ways of working as the company continuously improves its processes.
• Advanced level of proficiency with MSWord, Excel, Outlook including pivot tables, and macro functions.
• Must be organized, motivated and possess an eye for detail; accuracy is imperative.
• Manufacturing and ERP system experience helpful.
• Strong desire to meet deadlines and other relevant performance metrics.
• Excellent work habits, including strong interpersonal communication skills and a willingness to work in a dynamic manufacturing environment.