Lead Aftermarket Design Engineer
Reports To:Design Engineer Supervisor - Aftermarket
Date Listed:April 14, 2022
Select Contact email:firstname.lastname@example.org
The Design Engineering function supports business needs and continuous improvement efforts through appropriate technical product and engineering principle development of employees and management.
Job Description and Duties
Overall responsibility for design engineering activities on aftermarket and parts contracts, including aftermarket units. The activities can include material selection, updating design documents to current standards, ensuring compliance to various Codes, maintaining engineering schedules, and all other activities associated with aftermarket engineering efforts.
Principal duties performed in collaboration with the Design Engineering Supervisor consist of, but are not limited to:
- Responsibility to translate design specifications and code requirements into the requisite product design, oversee preparation of manufacturing drawings, procedures, and analytical design reports. Many of these activities will require close collaboration with contract management, quality assurance, and manufacturing personnel.
- Review customer purchase orders for engineering content and completeness to meet design and contract requirements. Update legacy BoMs and drawings to current quality requirements, materials, and best practices.
- Provide documented technical and analysis support assistance to clients for determining the suitability for operation of HTI equipment outside of original intended design parameters, justification of modes of operation for regulatory compliance, redeployment of equipment, failure modes and root cause determination. Technical support assistance to end users in the installation, operation, maintenance and technical oversight of HTI manufactured equipment. Writing Technical Evaluations for customer revisions, material substitutions, or acceptable deviations from design subject to review and approval by customers.
- Reviewing and updating legacy documents in compliance with Code and Design Specifications, consistent with HTI current standards. This includes researching and determining equivalencies and providing the requisite technical evaluations in the support of repair, overhaul and maintenance activities of HTI equipment to support HTI After Market Parts and Service Application Engineering activities.
- Application sales, field service, shop service and aftermarket sales technical support in determining the appropriate application of equipment, interpretation of specifications, material recommendations, Code compliance and providing supplementary data to support sales activities. Contact point for drawing and sketch generation for Application Sales, and technical support of Aftermarket procurement and subcontract activities. Review Engineering Change Requests, and derive total scope of engineering work related to the requested change.
- Manufacturing support providing technical assistance to the manufacturing floor to assist in achieving specified design requirements and resolution of conflicts that arise in attaining the specified design or contractual obligations for parts and service. Dispositioning Discrepant Material Reports related to ASME Code Section III, VIII, I and Safety Related service work and spare parts.
- Oversees and leads Design Engineers, Mechanical Designers, and Cad Operators, some of whom may be in comparable positions, performing activities described herein.
- Supervises, performs, and checks most types of calculations, design and analysis, and test validation using both computer aided and manual techniques.
- Utilizes customer and vendor data, and works with other disciplines as required in the performance of design activities.
- Performs self-check of completed work, develops self-confidence, mentors, counsels and provide guidance to peers and team.
- Promotes in-house mechanical design excellence by developing design, and analysis tools, processes, techniques and process improvement.
- Ensures all quality, safety, department, and business training is current for Design Engineers Mechanical Designers, and Cad Operators within the new unit team.
- Approves time off, schedules, overtime, and time cards for staff, as required.
In order to perform these duties it is necessary to have well developed analytical skills as it applies to rotating mechanical equipment design and analysis and a fundamental understanding
of mechanical engineering principles including mechanical design, material selection, and other disciplines such as material science, electromechanical engineering, vibration and failure analysis. Competency in reading, understanding, and translating customer technical requirements enables the Lead Aftermarket Design Engineer to arrive at reasonable, timely and cost effective solutions.
Other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and 5-10 years of engineering and analysis in the field of industrial rotating machinery such as pumps, turbines or compressors.
- Concentration in the power generation or chemical process industries a plus.
- Exhibit a thorough understanding of pertinent codes, governing regulations and industry practice. Demonstrated experience utilizing the ASME Code Section III or VIII desired.
- Ability to read & interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications
- Comprehensive understanding of mechanical engineering principles associated with the design, analysis and operation of rotating machinery.
- Engineering work in centrifugal pumps a plus.
- Expected travel is less than 10% yearly
- Proficient in SolidWorks, MathCad, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the Internet
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented, organized, works independently, and highly motivated