Business Development Manager
Reports To:Sales Director
Date Listed:April 6, 2023
Select Contact email:firstname.lastname@example.org
The Business Development Manager serves as the main liaison between Hayward Tyler (HT) / Energy Steel (ES) and potential new customers or early-stage customers. Primary responsibility is to identify and nurture new business opportunities to generate revenue, improve profitability in accordance with business objectives. This position is focused on developing OEM and Engineering Services opportunities in the National Laboratory, Advanced Nuclear and Advanced Energy markets. The Business Development Manager works closely with Sales Directors at Hayward Tyler and Energy Steel to forecast new business and guide structural changes to the company required to help the business grow. The Business Development Manager also works closely with Marketing to ensure that the Hayward Tyler / Energy Steel brand, products and services are appropriately positioned in target markets.
Job Description and Duties:
The Business Development Manager is responsible for working new leads through the sales cycle and converting opportunities to orders. During project requirements review and proposal making, the Business Development Manager works with all necessary departments at Hayward Tyler / Energy Steel to ensure proper estimates are established and risks are mitigated and accounted for in its offers. Once orders are received, the Business Development Manager works with operations to ensure project requirements are being met and the customer is satisfied with the project deliverables. This position supports a fast-paced growth environment and regularly communicates internally on wins, losses and customer-identified needs.
The following job duties apply:
• Maintain up-to-date understanding of industry trends and technical developments that effect target markets
• Develops business case for new opportunities and proposes strategic approaches to winning bids
• Assists application engineering in proposal writing for high value and/or complex bids
• Meets regularly with customers and industry stakeholders via face-to-face visits, video conferencing or phone calls
• Produces and present periodic market reports with demonstratable actions to company executives
• Directs marketing efforts by presenting market research to marketing team and suggests strategies to expand market research
• Attends relevant industry events to identify market opportunities, exhibit HT / ES products and services and make presentations
• Regularly interacts with national laboratories and other government stakeholders to identify opportunities for new business, grants/funding or use of external resources
• Coordinates timely and thorough reviews of commercial terms & conditions for new customers or complex contracts/projects
• Maintains an awareness of market trends in the Nuclear and Advanced Energy markets and informs management of any potential effects on Hayward Tyler / Energy Steel businesses
• Seeks out potential partnership, merger or acquisition targets and refers them to management
• Manages key accounts as needed
• Supports the outside sales teams by providing new leads or information that will improve overall effectiveness in Hayward Tyler and Energy Steel’s core markets
• Works with other, external HT facilities on cross-selling opportunities.
• Ensure that HT / ES personnel are recognized for their hard work and success in support of new business.
• BS in Engineering or college degree with equivalent job experience (7 yrs. in technical position), MBA preferred
• 7-10 year’s work experience in marketing and sales (rotating equipment and/or power market preferred)
• Experience with government and civil/advanced nuclear markets preferred
• Excellent communication skills, self-motivated, self-starter, sense of urgency, personable and well organized.
• Strong business acumen, and persuasive.
• Basic PC skills, including experience using MS Word, Excel or equivalent.
• Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM is preferred
• Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings, standards and specifications
• Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
• Strong technical and machine shop knowledge
• Expected travel is 30-60% yearly